Аor lovers of the beer industry Vancouver Island Brewery welcomes its visitors for a tour around the brewery with beer tasting! The Brewery is located on 2330 Government Street, Victoria, BC, with over 30 years in the brewing industry featuring a wide variety of beers and other merchandise such as glassware and clothing.
Attractions around the Vancouver Island Brewery:
Vancouver Island Brewery is located just within a couple of kilometers from downtown of Victoria, which is about 20-30 mins walk. Nevertheless, it’s located within just a few minutes’ walk to other popular destinations:
- Victoria Gymnastics – where you or your kids will spend fun time and keep yourself fit;
- Crystal Pool & Fitness – to go for a refreshing swim and keep your body fit;
- Mayfair Shopping Complex – to check what is going on with the fashion trends.
About Vancouver Island Brewery
Vancouver Island Brewery was the first craft brewery on Vancouver Island. If you ever wondered how Beer is made, a tour of the Vancouver Island Brewery is available and have been known to be one of the best with friendly tour guides that provide very useful information.
When: Every Friday and Saturday at 4:00pm
Cost: $7.00 per person or $10.00 per person including a Vancouver Island Brewery pint glass.
Duration: Approximately 1 hour
Vancouver Island Brewery is famous for its variety of beers:
- Signature Series: Available all year round with high-quality ingredients and a focus on freshness.
- Seasonal Series: Available only in particular seasons for a limited time and are brewed in limited quantities.
- 650ml Series: Availability of these “bombers” as they are called is very limited. So pick up a bottle or more on any occasion you see them.
Over the years Vancouver Island Brewery has won numerous international awards, and stands today are one of BC’s largest independent microbreweries. Some of the awards for 2015 include:
- Black Betty Blackberry Saison – Silver Medal
- Sabotage Indian Session Ale – Gold Medal
- Sea Dog Amber Ale – Gold Medal
- Pipers Pale Ale – Silver Medal
- Hermann’s Dark Lager – Gold Medal
- Islander Lager – Gold Medal
Vancouver Island Brewery beers are also available in BC Liquor Stores, Cold Beer & Wine Stores and in Restaurants and Pubs on Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland. You can also order items, this is a service the government liquor stores provide. If you need more information, please ontact the Vancouver Island Brewery directly 250.361.0005.
History of Vancouver Island Brewery
Starting in Central Saanich in 1984 with 6 employees handcrafting a small selection of draught for customers on Vancouver Island, the Vancouver Island Brewery has grown to over 40 employees today operation in a new location built for the brewery in 1995 located in downtown Victoria BC . Over the years, ownership of the brewery has changed and today it is owned by Bob MacDonald, of Oakville, who is also a partner in the Ontario cottage brewery and the founder of Wakefield Canada Inc. of Toronto.
Here are some interesting and significant historical highlights of Vancouver Island Brewery developmemt:
- 1984 Island Pacific Brewery is founded by group of local Victoria beer enthusiasts.
- 1992 Island Pacific Brewing changes name to become Vancouver Island Brewery.
- 1995 Present day brewery on Government St is commissioned.
- 2004 New Krones bottle filler from Germany is commissioned
- 2006 Vancouver Islander Lager is first crafted
- 2010 Sea Dog Amber Ale is launched in partnership with the Canadian Navy’s 100th Anniversary
- 2012 Iron Plow Harvest Märzen is released in 650ml bottle in September.
- 2013 Absolute Darkness 650ml was brewed in partnership with Horne Lake Caves,
- 2014 Sabotage Indian Session Ale 650ml launches
- 2014 Black Betty launches for Spring/Summer season in cans.
Travelling to the Vancouver Island Brewery
If you would like to drive to Vancouver Island Brewery, there is free parking is available onsite.
If you prefer to use the bus, please check the BC Transit schedule here.