Located on Derby Road in Victoria, on southern Vancouver Island, the Cedar Hill Golf Club is the perfect course for both the novice and more experienced golfer. Although the course can be ‘kind’ to novice players there are more than enough challenges for those who are up to it.
While the golf course (par 67) is managed by the municipality of Saanich, the club itself is actually run by volunteers who work hard to promote golf and a friendly, welcoming environment for all. The golf club is broken up into three separate sections:
- Men – The season begins with qualifying rounds for positions on the interclub teams. They also hold regular competitions throughout the year as well as ‘buttons’ matches. From October to March men participate in a sometimes challenging winter league, depending on the weather conditions.
- Senior Men – Men 55 years and over participate in a host of events and interclub matches pitting their skills against other south island clubs.
- Ladies Division – The two groups within this division are the ‘Tuesday Ladies’ and the ‘Business Ladies’ with the latter play on Saturday mornings. The women participate in Tuesday and Saturday competitions, tournaments, pin rounds, and interclub matches as well as other golf and social events.
Thanks to the Island’s temperate climate, golf is a year round activity. Green fees are very reasonable and of course differ slightly from winter to summer. In summer (April to October) weekday green fees start as slow as $37.50 (tax incl.) for 13 holes. Nine holes during summer are only $28.25 (tax incl.) anytime.
Cedar Hill also has a great Pro Shop which is open all year long, 7 days a week, from dawn until dusk. They also have a number of passes for purchase including:
- Weekday Pass – Gets you 3 rounds of golf a week for a total of 100 rounds, 55 of which can be played in the summer.
- Full Pass – This gives you 4 rounds of golf a week all year long with a total maximum of 90 rounds including 50 rounds that can be played in summer.
- Junior Pass – 4 rounds a week after 12:30 p.m. junior players between 8 and 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult but is at the discretion of the Pro Shop.
Why not try the game of FootGolf which is quickly growing in popularity. As the name implies, it is a mix of soccer and golf. Players use a #5 soccer ball which they attempt to get into a 21 inch cup in as few kicks as possible. You can try your hand (or foot) at this game Saturday to Monday after 6:00 p.m. and 9 holes are only $9:00. If you’re not familiar with the game, you can check out the rules of FootGolf on Cedar Hill’s website.
Cedar Hill is so much more than just a golf course and golf club. It’s an opportunity to get involved in community fund raising events, a place to see old friends and meet new ones, sign up for lessons regardless of your age or skill level. With a practice putting green and food services open all year, Cedar Hill is definitely a full-service golf club. They also have rental spaces for your next business meeting or social event.
Cedar Hill Golf Club is located at: 1400 Derby Road; Victoria, BC
- Main Phone: 370.1471 Fax: 250-370-943
- Pro Shop Telephone: 250-475-7151
- Food & Beverage Services: 250-475-7156
- Email: [email protected]
For more specific details on banquets services, events, tournaments, weddings, workshops/seminars, etc, call: 250-475-7156.