Located in Saanichton on southern Vancouver Island, Sea Cider Farm & Cider House is a local, family-owned orchard with more than 1,300 apple trees and over 50 varieties of heritage apples. Their annual production of traditionally fermented ciders continues to expand along with their growing popularity. In fact, the ciders produced at Cider Farm can be found throughout BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Washington State, Illinois, and Oregon.
Their tasting and tours are great ways to sample some of their award-winning ciders twelve months a year from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Some of the medal-winning ciders that are worth a try include:
- Flagship – A German style cider that is also one of the few commercially produced ciders in the world that are fee of added sulphites.
- Pippins – This is a gold medalist cider. It is a sharp style cider that uses Yellow Newton Pippin apples as well as the cool fermentation from champagne yeast.
- Rumrunner (Prohibition) – Rumrunner’s apples are hand pressed and crafted with home-grown heritage apples
There are many other ciders that are worth sampling and even though they are not recent medal winners, they are delicious and popular choices. Some of these include:
- Ruby Rose – This is a limited-release cider available in summer. Cider Farm suggests pairing this cider with creamy Brie, salty snacks, or perhaps some candied salmon; it is perfect for enjoying with lighter meals.
- Pomona – Crafted with certified organic apples, this cider is hand crafted by way of freezing then slowly fermenting a single variety of crab-apples resulting in a dessert-style cider.
Any time of year is perfect for tasting and touring the farm but summer and winter each offer unique experiences. In summer, take a walk on the Cider House deck where you can look out over the organic orchard and panoramic ocean views. In winter you can stay warm in the comfort of their Tasting Room. Whatever time of the year, this is a great outing where the whole family can explore the Farm and stop for lunch before continuing on.
Their tasting menu is varied and extensive and can include an Artisan lunch plate that includes a great selection of local meats, cheeses, bread, crackers, jelly and dip. It’s a good idea to check their tasting & food menu before hand as prices may change from time to time.
Sea Cider Farm is also an amazing place to hold a wedding or corporate event. It’s easy to picture your wedding with the backdrop of the Salish Sea, Mountains, and of course the pristine orchard. They will even help with coordinating everything such as vendors, beverage service, and will assist and supervise the whole process so you and your guests can enjoy a relaxed and stress free day. Find out how they can help make your wedding extra special and a day that will be remembered forever.
If you are planning a corporate event it is certainly worth holding it at Sea Cider Farm. Getting away from the office and holding meetings in a relaxed and more natural environment is sure to boost the attention level and productivity of your staff. They offer full beverage service and options for a catered lunch.
Whether you are planning a cider tasting day with a few friends, enjoying a family-fun day of exploring, coming with a tour bus, or cycling to Sear Cider Farm, the warm welcoming atmosphere of the grounds and the staff are there to make sure you have a memorable day.