The cabinetry and millwork in Victoria covers a range of stylistic and architectural tastes. “Cabinetry” refers to a class of furniture known as a cabinet, which is comprised of shelves and drawers and is used to store or display household items (as with kitchen cabinets or dressers). Millwork, in terms of residential living, refers to the essential building components of the home: trim, beams, columns, handrails, built-in closets, and so forth.
Traditionally, both cabinetry and millwork have been made with wood. These days, however, the use of metals, glass, and synthetic materials is on the rise. Styles that were originally applied to cabinetry have spread to encompass entire houses, meaning that all the cabinetry and millwork is crafted in a particular style.
Some examples of these styles include:
• Shaker, which focusses on functionality and symmetry.
• Mission, which is characterized by straight, thick lines and flat panels.
• Rustic, a utilitarian style focussing on using the least finished woods and displaying the materials in their natural state (as with log homes).
• Oriental, which is characterized by the use of bamboo and bright colours. It is often decorated with landscape art.
• Colonial, which emphasizes both the design and the materials, and uses both turning wood-turning spindles and steam to shape the wood.
• French Provincial, an ornate style in which the wood is often painted or stained, with some kind of gilding applied.
• Scandinavian, which is characterized by clean lines and the absence of decoration- this style places more emphasis on materials than on design.
With so many styles to choose from, the cabinetry and millwork in Victoria houses provide something for everyone.
Innovative Kitchens and Bath has been serving Vancouver island for over 15 years. Offering a huge full design showroom, with the newest leading edge products you are sure to find what you are looking for. Custom is their specialty, being only limited by your imagination. Stop in and meet their team, the coffee is always on!