The well-equipped Victoria General Hospital (VGH) is an acute care facility which offers emergency, general surgery and medical treatment services to all 765,000 residents of Vancouver Island and in some cases patients throughout BC. This substantial facility is located in View Royal of Greater Victoria Area, just 20 minutes’ drive western of Downtown off the highway via Helmcken exit on 1 Hospital Way.
Attractions around the Victoria General Hospital:
Within 5 minutes’ drive from the VGH you can find some place of interest, while waiting for your loved ones, such as:
- The Thetis Lake Park – regional park, where you can take a walk, go for a bike ride in the stunning forests or dip into the lake during the hot weather;
- Six Mile Pub – to feel up your empty stomach with Beer and Burger, and explore the old historical architecture of the pub building;
- Highland Pacific Golf Course – represents an opportunity to chill and golf on a championship 18 holes course with challenging layout all year around.
Specializations of Victoria General Hospital:
VGH is one of two comprehensive care hospitals on southern Vancouver Island, along with the Royal Jubilee Hospital and offers:
- Maternity services – VGH is the only one of the two hospitals equipped to provide maternity and labor services.
- Emergency department – newly built in 2008 with hi-tech isolation rooms and a decontamination area specifically designed for managing pandemics and severe outbreaks, the Emergency department aids patients who have major accidents anywhere in the BC region who are transferred by helicopter or ambulance for vital care.
- Pediatric Unit – where newborns, infants and children 18 and younger receive the specialized care they need from a team of pediatric experts. Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Pediatric Trauma Centre are dedicated to providing optimum care for critically ill and injured children, where emergency room is specially built and equipped with the latest in pediatric technology.
Main services offered by Victoria General Hospital include:
- Acquired Brain Injury Clinic,
- Beach Reports,
- Breast Health Surgical Oncology Services,
- Breast Imaging Services,
- Cardiac Medical Tests and
- Child and Family Ambulatory Unit and others.
VGH facility well-appointed with:
- 368 Acute Care beds,
- 30 Neuro-Rehabilitation beds
- 40 Geriatric Ward beds.
VGH also is a teaching hospital for UBC’s Department of Orthopedic Surgery and students in their third and fourth year of medical school at University of Victoria.
Victoria General Hospital Auxiliary:
- Auxiliary Gift shop is a charity created by diverse group of people “who care” on volunteer basis and dedicated to raising funds and investing them to purchase equipment for the Victoria General Hospital.
- The hospital Cafeteria is located on the ground floor and welcomes anyone 7 days a week from 6:45 a.m. until 6:15 p.m. with vending machines for snacks and beverages are available inside, where you can spend time sitting and enjoying a visit rather than in the hospital ward.
- Send Well Wishesto a loved one staying at VGH through online service provided by hospital.
Brief History of Victoria General Hospital.
The present Victoria General Hospital was constructed in 1983, then it was known as VGH North until VGH South, located in downtown Victoria, was closed. Before VGH North was build, VGH South was known as the one and only Victoria General Hospital. St. Joseph’s Hospital was founded in 1876 on the place of VGH South and taken over from the Roman Catholic Diocese of Victoria by the provincial government in 1972.
Working hours and Visiting information:
Victoria General Hospital operates 24/7.
Nevertheless, the main hospital entrance is locked from 9:00 pm to 5:30 am. However, can gain access by pressing the intercom button to the right of the doors and someone will attend to you.
Or in case of emergencies, you can enter through the Emergency Department.
VGH also organizes tours around the hospital, you can book a tour by calling 250.286.7009 ahead of time.
If you have any questions, please visit Patient and Visitor Info.
How to get to Victoria General Hospital:
If you drive to VGH, they’ve got a plenty of paid parking just in front of the main entrance and emergency parking near the Emergency Department.
- Pay-By-Space Parking Machines: $2.75 for first 2 hours, each additional hour, $1.50
- Weekly Permits: $26.75 (purchase at parking machines)