Victoria International Airport is more than just a place you go to catch a plane to get home, travel on business or the start of a dream vacation. Located about 25km north of Victoria, the drive will take you by the quaint resort town of Sidney by the Sea where there are a host of unique attractions that are well worth checking out.
The Airport has been recognized by Airports Council International as the number one airport in North America for Service Quality. They are proud to offer a number of services to help make each visitor’s travel a pleasant and stress free experience. Some of these services include:
- Bicycle storage – a secure place for bicycles on the east side of the short term parking lot. The cost is $2.00/day and cyclists can access these storage lockers as well as a basic bike tool kit at the Airport Security Building just east of the terminal building
- Red Coat Information Desk – A group of dedicated volunteers that act as Airport Ambassadors that greet travelers, help with directions and local information. They can be found across from the car rental counters located in the arrivals area and are available:
- Monday to Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday & Friday 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (during the summer months)
- Sunday 10:00a.m. to 4: p.m.
- Lost & Found – Any items found inside or outside the terminal as well as in the parking areas are brought to the Airport Security Office just east of the main terminal building. For information on an item you may have lost, you can contact them directly at 250.953.7511 and items can be claimed between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. each day.
- NEXUS – A dedicated fast-track security lane for passengers that have been pre-cleared as trusted travelers. Simply show your NEXUS card at any security checkpoint to be directed to these special lanes. The cost for a NEXUS card is $50.00 Canadian and $50.00 US dollars. Once approved your membership is valid for 5 years. A NEXUS application can be filled out online or in hard copy.
- Pet Relief Area – The Airport provides 2 separate areas for service animals and both are located directly across from the air terminal building. They have waste bags and receptacles available.
There are many other services that the Victoria International Airport provides in an effort to make passengers’ travel experience as stress free as possible. There is a list of all services provided at the airport directly on their website.
Transportation to and from the airport is convenient and easily accessible. The services provided include:
- Car Rentals – Located in the arrivals area directly across from the Information Desk
- Taxi & Shuttle Service – Located outside arrivals area
- Public Transportation – Is provided by BC Transit and offers about 28 departures daily to various locations.
- McTavish Road Interchange – Links will provide specific information on how to get where you need to and even has a ‘How To’ on the proper use of round-abouts for those not accustomed to them.
There are several places where one can do some shopping, have a light snack or even enjoy a full meal for those longer overlays. Some of these include:
- Spinnakers On the Fly (Post Security)
- LS Travel Retail North America (Pre Security)
- Starbucks coffee (Pre Security)
- Tim Horton’s (Pre Security)
Parking costs at Victoria International Airport are extremely affordable compared to other major city airports. They also offer strategically located charging stations for electric and hybrid vehicles with no additional charge for use of electricity. Both cash and credit cards are accepted for payment and short term parkers who spend $10.00 at any of the airport food outlet will receive the $1.00 cost of parking taken off their bill.
Located next to the Airport is the BC Aviation Museum; a major attraction on Vancouver Island. Some of the amazing artifacts from wars fought by Canadian soldiers are displayed in the Memorial room of the Museum including: Royal Flying Corps, Canadian Air force, and the Royal Air Force. This is definitely a must see for anyone who plans to be at or near the airport.
The airport website also has a comprehensive contacts list that is helpful when there may be some specific information that you simply are not able to find directly from their website.